Saturday, December 22, 2007

My cat

I have a pet.
It is a cat.
It is female.
Her name is Dawn.

Yes it's true, I have a pet cat living with me. She has been with me for about 5 years. Wonderful she is, terror she is too.

My younger brother brought her home one night while I was sleeping. Strangely, my mum didn't have any major objections. It's the first time we have a non-human living thing moving around our house. It's really a different and new experience. At first, we are really not used to it. We are afraid that we will accidentally stepped on it because it's too small. It's so small that she will slip through the hole on the door and wander outside.

That's one thing strange about this dear cat. She likes to wander outside the house along the corridor. She will hide among the bicycle parked outside the house, lie down in the drain to see whether she can fit in or not, roll on the cement floor, play with our neighbour's broom and many other strange actions. But, when she hears foot step sound of people coming down the stairs, she would then dash back home in the fastest possible speed. Yes, she's afraid of strangers. Strangely too, she won't leave us. Really.

There was once when we accidentally closed the door leaving her outside alone because we thought the cat is in the house. After about 10 minutes, we heard someone knocking (or banging) the door so I go take a look. No one. Looking down, it's Dawn, the cat. Amazingly, she knows how to "knock" the door wanting to come back home. Who say cat is stupid, they know alot of things too!

Not only cats know how to recognize their home, they know the time too. Or only my cat knows the time. After spending the whole day time sleeping, we will wake up at 10pm and bug us for food. Not early not late but 10pm. She also recognize some simple words such as "来" (lai - meaning come in chinese) and her name "Dawn". It's especially useful when she's hungry. Besides that, she can recognize everyone of us and know us well.

For example, when my grandma walks to her sleeping area with a chair, she knows that it's time to cut her paw's nail. When my mum walks into my room, she will immediately jumped down from the bed and sneak away because she knows that she's not allowed on my bed. If my father is at home, she won't dare to enter the master room. When some strangers (gas delivery man or someone whom she never seen before) knocks the door and/or enters the house, she will be hiding under the sofa peeking. Timid cat.

Once, we brought home another cat because it's hungry. After feeding her it with some cat food, an idea struck. Make the two cats befriend each other. The new cat (or say kitten) is more outgoing whereas my Dawn is damn aggressive. Dawn nearly scratched the little kitten for lucky we stop it in time. Maybe she's worried that we will abandon her for a new cat. How would we possibly do that, right?

After so many years, after so many trouble created by this cat, after so many innconvience caused by this cat, after so many times and moments, how could we abandon her? She's already part of our life, part of our family. Whenever we are taking family potrait, she must join us too!

Like people always ask, "what are you going to do if she dies". Other than crying and browsing through her photos and videos, I don't know how to handle dead cat. Should I bury her somewhere under a tree, leave her to rot in the open public, dump her down the rubbish chute, burn it or eat it. What's the proper way to handle it?

A PET IS NOT A TOY. If you own it, you have to be responsible for it for the rest of its life. It may be annoying, irritating, frustrating and time consuming but think of the first time you adopt it. Why did you choose to adopt it in the first place? Regret is too late an option.

I love my pet cat.

As a bonus, here's a little photo of my cat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home