Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Connecting people

Nokia, connecting people. What a success by Nokia, now everyone is connected. Be it you are travelling in a fast moving underground train or up high at the tallest building, you are connected. Isn't it amazing. More than 99% of Singapore is covered with networks that allow you to start talking the moment you press dial on your phone. Most of our shopping malls are even equipped with free wireless network so you can get online on the go!

Connecting people; people are connected.

That, is a bad thing. Not really very bad until I want to demolish the whole telecommunication networks but it just has its bad points. Being a bias writer, I shall only discuss the bad points.

With more than 100% mobile phone ownership in Singapore (6 years back, it was only like 85%), we are expected to be connected all the time. If someone tries to call you for alot of time yet you are not contactable, you will be labelled as "got handphone but no use". That is one thing I really don't like about handphone. Why must I be on standby all the time waiting for calls? Why can't I have my own privacy time without people disturbing me from my peace? If there's really an urgent need to find me (ie emergency), leave me a message! Well, how often do I get emergency call? Most of the time it's just normal talk.

Sometimes, I wonder how do people in the ancient time (1990s) stay in contact with one another. Yes I know there's pager but that's in the later half of the 90s. Do people sit beside the public payphone talking to their friend while enjoying their mug of Tiger Beer at the coffee shop?

Times of pager already bring trouble for the people. Well, if you are too young, never seen one before and wondering what's a pager, I'm in the mood to explain it. It's basically a small piece of hardware around the size of one poker card which you carry it around in your pocket or clip it to your waist. HAHA. It used to be so fashionable to clip it at your waist (to show off of course). When your pagers rings, it means someone is looking for you and it will display the number of the caller. You then proceed to a nearby payphone and call back the person. BEEP BEEP.... RING! Connected. Should you want to know more, feel free to ask your parents.

Give me some time to enjoy my own privacy okay? At times, I just don't feel like to be online in MSN (not appear offline, just totally off my messenger). Why should I tell the whole world that I've turned on my computer and I'm now connected to the Internet. There are also times when I just want a quiet walk or cycle around my neighbourhood without anybody disturbing me.

Why is it becoming a norm for people to own a device to get themself connected to the world instead of it once being labelled as just a fashion item? Is staying connected really that important? Can't we have the option to remain un-contactable?

Friends, let's keep in touch but not connected.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home