Friday, June 16, 2006

Breath in clean air!

Singapore has the cleanest air compared to other developed country. Our air standard is closely monitored and serious air pollution is punishable by law.

Every morning when I wake up, walk to the door and take a deep breathe. *breaths in* My mind don't feel refreshed. No pure oxygen to freshen my mind and body. I consume car gas, dirt particle from the construction site and second-hand smoke. Is Singapore really clean?

In an effort to clean up Singapore's air and protect the non-smoker from second-hand smoke, an islandwide anti-smoking campaign is launched. It's more of a law than a campaign. A few months back, smoking is ban in all bus interchange with poster everywhere reminding smoker. Coming next month (July 2006), smoking in coffee-shop and hawker center will be ban too!

That's really good news for me. One reason why my brothers and I dread going to coffee shop for meal is because of the second-hand smoke from hardcore smoker. I wonder how do they smoke and eat at the same time.

Of course, only "42 of 117 hawker centers islandwide have chosen to go completely smoke-free". Source: http://sg.news.yahoo.com/060616/5/singapore213967.html (Yahoo! news). The remaining 75 hawker centers will have a designated smoking area of not more than 10% of the indoor space. I'm not a smoker so I don't know if this is good news or bad.

Overall, I think smoker will start complaining. "What? Smoking also need to go smoking area?" "This coffee shop no smoking area?" Smokers, read this. If you want to smoke, go somewhere else to smoke. Hawker center is a place for everyone to eat and drink. Don't inject other people with your filthy smoke. Spare a thought for the others (non-smokers). Don't be selfish.

Same those to the idiots smoker at bus-stop. In case you don't know, bus-stop is also considered as a NO SMOKING outlet under the law. So, please stop contaminating the air and our lungs with your smoke.

As for the non-smokers, cheers! We can finally breath in clean air!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home