Monday, November 17, 2008

Feed the rich, starve the poor

- More than 1 billion people do not have access to clean water.
- A 1% increase in developing countries' share of world exports could lift 128 million people out of poverty.
(source: http://www.onesingapore.org)

"Almost half the world's population lives on less than two dollars a day, yet even this statistic fails to capture the humiliation, powerlessness and brutal hardship that is the daily lot of the world's poor."
(quoted from former UN Secretarial General Kofi Annan)

"Like slavery and apartheid, poverty is not natural. It is man-made and it can be overcome and eradicated by the actions of human beings."
(quoted from Nelson Mandela)

So, how serious is the poverty situation in the world? Every three seconds, a child dies from extreme poverty. If you still remember one of my three wishes, I wish for everyone in the world to have a proper meal. Hunger is definitely not right and it should be prevented as much as possible. It just hurts me so much to see people suffering from hunger especially young children. Everyone deserves a proper meal and no one should suffer from this fate. Who to blame?

However, there are people around the world that don't sympathise the poor and take food for granted. As what Nelson Mandela said, "poverty is not natural, it's man-made". How true when I see videos of people throwing precious foods and drinks just for birthday celebration. Yes they (might) have fun but what is that they are doing? They are sacrificing good food that is decent enough for the poor in third world country as meal. Maybe they are too rich to understand the importance of food and too full (or foolish) to realise the feeling of hunger. Who to blame?

Well, I haven't been through hunger or starvation before because my parents are working hard to provide me with basic shelter and food. I thank them for that. I thank them again for teaching me the importance of food and have a heart that reach out to others. I don't waste food just because I don't like the food or simply just "for fun". My friends should know that I treasure food as much as I treasure the people around me.

Maybe that's why I can't stand people who waste food. I've come across friends who simply throw away a whole plate of food (which was his lunch) just because he don't like it. There are people who throw food and drinks just because they think that it's cool, the "in" thing and part of their culture to celebrate birthday for their friend. It's just funny and interesting to see how people defend their wrong doings because they think it's right. Who to blame?

Selfish people wasting precious food resources are actually those who are suppose to be clever enough to understand the fact but they choose to ignore it and defend their action. Who to blame? Their school principal? Their teacher? Their parents? Blame themselves for being such a disgrace to the nation! How did our society choose to accept them as elite when they can't think. Who to blame?

Rich getting richer while poor getting poorer. Continue feeding the rich when they are already so full and continue starving the poor when they are suffering from hunger. Who to blame?

Make poverty history!

Note: please do not post comment that is not related to this entry or it will be deleted. Who to blame?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home