Monday, November 21, 2011

Friend, With Benefit

Facebook is suppose to be a place for friends but it is now a place for you to randomly add strangers. Recently, in accordance to the Facebook safety guideline, I have removed a few of my "friends" from my friend list. Actually, it's my fault for approving their friend request in the first place.

Like what my dad says, friends exist for the fact of mutual-exploit; you make use of me, I make use of you. Why? Why can't friendship be simple and easy? Or am I simply too naive?

For me, I'm friend with you because I respect you, I trust you and I'm comfortable with you. If you disrespect me or abuse my trust, I won't be comfortable to have you as my friend. Yes, I know this sounds childish. It sounds like what primary school kids will say but that's innocent at its best. Isn't it?

"Friend" used to be a much simpler word. But as we grow up, we grow to only want friends, with benefit. You befriend those you think that will benefit you. You pray to power and you think that the number of friends directly affects your ego. You no longer treasure friendship because you think friendship is bullshit. You are a sad being.

That's partially the reason why I hide my friend list from my Facebook account. There's no need to show the world how many friends I have in Facebook because it's just a fake number. How many of my Facebook friends will offer a helping hand if I'm really in need of help? How many of my Facebook friends are being added just because I want to stay in contact (another word is "stalk") with them?How many of my Facebook friends are just a plain nuisance and added me just because they are a nuisance?How many of my Facebook friends are actually fiends?

One thing which I've always believed in: the more friends you have, the more enemies you have. You never know when that friend of yours is going to turn his back on you and give you a deep stab at your back before walking away pretending the friendship was never in place before. That's how sad human nature it. Sadly, I forgot about this fact recently and got myself trapped by a bunch of back-stabbers. No, I don't blame them and I can't blame them. I can only blame myself for being too trusting. In fact, I must thank them. These are the people who are like rainbows of your life; they show their true colors only when the storm (argument) is over. Despite the storm ended, you still can't see their shadow beside you. They are just waiting for another storm.

Friends? I rather be forever alone. No strings attached.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home