Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Can Singaporeans handle emergency?

I don't think so.

A few weeks back my mother told me that she met a MRT accident. Or incident. A lady in her 40s got her hand stuck in the train while her body is outside. This happen because she is trying to rush into the train when the train's door is closing. (See? This is what happen if you try to do thing at last minute.)

So, there she is, standing on the platform with her hands got clamped by the door. Some screamed, some stare at the hand at loss, some acting like nothing has happened and continue reading the newspaper, some try to help.

Help? What help? A middle-age uncle tried to communicate with the MRT driver through the emergency button but he has no idea how to use it. I think most people in the train did not use the stupid red button before. Is it just press and talk? Where is the microphone to speak to? Do we need to hold the red button? Will I get fine since this isn't a big issue? Will I get stare from other passengers?

See? We aren't capable of handling emergency cases. Are we taught on this in school? Do you know how to use the hammer at SBS buses in case there is emergency? Just take and smash? We did not have enough teaching (hands-on experience) regarding this.

Although there is regular Civil Defense exercise, do we actually give a damn about it? We would just listen to the siren and says "it's here", "it's over". We don't even bother to do anything extra. Without experience, we don't learn.

Me? I guess I would be at lost when some emergency happen. I will just hide in a corner not knowing what I can do.

Singaporeans, wake up!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home