Thursday, July 06, 2006

Childhood

Actually I wanted to write an entry on this topic a long time ago but I keep forgetting about it. After reading Joy's blog, I have decided to write this entry now.

According to www.dictionary.com, childhood means "the period of life between infancy and puberty". Everyone deserved a childhood. A good one.

I'm happy that my parents and family gave me such a wonderful childhood. I only started schooling at the age of 5. That may seems normal but more children are starting school earlier. Everyday is a fun-filled day. Run around the house, run around the corridor, run around the flat, run around the neighbourhood just like nobody business. Play from sunrise to sunset. No need to worries about anything. Weekend was more fantastic! My uncles and aunties would visit me (as I'm the only child in the whole family then) and bring me to all sort of places such as beach, bowling center, McDonalds and other places that I can't remember. I really appreciate that. Thank you for giving me such a nice and wonderful childhood.

Not everyone got the childhood life they wanted.

My life change when I was 8yrs old..
Studying on the weekdays.
Working on the weekends.
Where was my childhood?

-- Quoted without permission from Joy's blog.

I don't know. I wanted to say that working is part of childhood experience too and it's valuable because not everyone has such a childhood. NO! I realise that this is not right.

Working is a job for adult, not child. Further more, child labour is considered illegal in Singapore. Every child should have the freedom to speak, freedom to express and freedom to play.

Childhood life in Singapore is way better than those in Africa or other 3rd world countries. Recently read an email article showing how poor Africa kids are. You may complain about eating fish burger daily but they never get enough food to eat. You may complain that schooling is "sian" (boring), they never dread learning new stuff.

Kids nowadays certainly have better childhood life now and they tend to abuse it. Once I saw a child throw away a bun which he took only a bite to the floor saying that the food taste "ugly". WHAT THE HECK! Give you food to eat and you are there complaining? Appreciate.

I remember reading in a magazine that "you only spend about 12 or 13 years being a children and the rest of your life being an adult. So don't rush to grow up." I can't agree more. After all, childhood means "the period of life between infancy and puberty". Enjoy your childhood while you can, you will never be able to travel back in time and enjoy it again.

Every child deserves a well deserved childhood.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home