Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Donate blood

Donated blood the 5th ime last Sunday (24 Jun 07) at Tampines East CC. This is my first time visiting the donation center so early. Donation is from 9am to 3pm and I reached at 9.10am. The queue is longer than expected.

This time, I dragged and convinced Teck Thong along to join me in donating blood. Shamefully sad, Teck Thong's vein is too small for blood donation. The nurse explained that the vein would "collapse" if the thick needle is forced into the small vein. Collapsed? I don't know what it means but it certainly sounds scary.

My mum told me that someone wrote to the newspaper applauding the effort of blood donor. Despite this, my parents still don't want to donate blood. Either they are scared of needle or blood. Well, shaldn't force anyone to donate blood as it is suppose to be voluntary.

Why do most Singaporeans fear the idea of donating blood? Are they afraid of saving people's life or are they plain selfish? I wouldn't blame you if you fall under the "thin vein", "unhealthy" or "AIDS" category. But if your body is perfectly fine and healthy, go donate blood. Please.

If not for Joy who ask me to join her in donating blood in our school last year, I wouldn't be doing something this meaningful. It's a good feeling to know that your healthy red blood can actually save a life. Not many people in our class responded to the blood drive at TP last year. Other than me and Joy, Xin Fu is another good samaritan. Since then, I have been donating blood every 12 weeks.

At the beginning of 2007, a local news report reported that the blood in blood bank is low. Maybe it's due to the fact that more people are loosing more blood in accidents.

Don't wait till you are a receiver then you decide to be a donator. It's not too late to be a donor now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home